Call for Applications | Reclaiming our Republic
23 October @ 8:00 am – 27 October @ 5:00 pm IST
|Reclaiming our Republic|
Through free and fair elections
23-27 October 2023
|BackgroundFriends, many of us are aware of the deep inroads that a dangerous hate-driven, divisive, and authoritarian ideology has made across our land in the last few years. There has been a systematic assault on the principles and ideals enshrined in our Constitution, a dismantling of independent regulatory and investigative institutions, and media capture. At the ground level, its impact on the lives of minorities, Dalits, and Tribals has been most felt. Dissenting voices of academics, activists, lawyers, journalists, writers, artists, and students have been singled out for retribution. The net has also spread to include all those people who believe in the plurality and diversity of this vast land, who believe in the equality of the law for all citizens beyond caste, creed, religion, language, and gender, and who believe in the freedom of speech. It’s time that we stand up against this fascist regime. Each individual in this struggle is guided by the Indian Constitution which promises liberty, equality, and justice to every citizen irrespective of caste, creed, religion, and gender.|
|About the workshopWe endeavor to collectively work in this crucial period before the next elections on the necessary ideas and tools to combat fascist forces, with the people at the forefront of campaigns. To ensure free & fair elections, there are many battles at the cultural, social, and economic levels. On the one hand, the acts of failures of the current government in the economic sector including unemployment issues need to be brought out. At the social level, the acts of commission of spreading hate and divisiveness need to be countered by love and compassion.|
|Objectives of the program:|
– The prime objective of the program is to enable people associated with various campaigns that have a vision of making an impact in the 2024 election.
– Understanding the present system of elections and the key challenges including concerns related to money power, criminalization of politics, issues regarding EVMs, the role of ECI, the capture of media
– How can citizens participate in monitoring elections
– Knowledge of how to use tools like the RTI Act
– Exploring the counter and positive narratives supporting diversity, equality, freedom, and justice.
– Understanding the nature of the threats to the republic in the context of, free speech, muzzling the media, the rule of law, and weaponization of institutions.
– Identifying key issues affecting people around which campaigns can be built- employment, crony capitalism, need for rule of law, communal harmony, labor laws, weakening of independent institutions and laws which empower people, food security, etc., with a particular emphasis on issues of the poor and marginalized communities.
– Introduction of various civil society-led initiatives
– Sharing by participants on their further action plan as to how they intend to work towards fair elections, and creating a collective action plan.
|Resource Persons: Prashant Bhushan, Anjali Bhardwaj, Amrita Johari, Harsh Mander, Anupam, Yogendra Yadav|
|Who is this workshop for: This workshop is for people involved in social activism for at least 3 years and are committed to spending their time and energy over the next few months on issues highlighted above aimed at reclaiming our republic.Language: Primarily Hindi and some English.Dates and Venue: 23rd to 27th Oct, 2023. Sambhaavnaa Institute, VPO – Kandbari, Tehsil – Palampur, District – Kangra, PIN 176061, Himachal Pradesh|
|Contribution towards program costs:We hope that each participant will contribute an amount of Rs. 3000/- towards the workshop expenses, inclusive of all on-site workshop costs: boarding, lodging, and all the materials used in the workshop. Need-based partial waivers are available, especially for people from marginalized communities. We have a very limited number of partial waivers, so, please apply for a waiver only if you really need it. Please do remember that there may be others who need it more than you.To know more, contact: WhatsApp or call 889 422 7954 (Working hours 10 am to 5 pm, Mon-Sat), or e-mail us at [email protected].|
|Hope to see you there,Sambhaavnaa Institute|